The “No Excuses” survival kit. There are many variations of these pocket sized kits, some come in sardine cans, some in water resistant bags, and many people make their own in candy tins like shown in the first picture.
Many people put these micro kits down saying that they don’t really contain enough items to be true survival kits, and I agree….. but I still think everyone should have one.
I have nicknamed these “No Excuses” kits for one simple reason, they are so compact that you have absolutely no excuses for not having one with you any time you are off-grid.
"But my bug-out bag/day-pack has all that plus more and better equipment."
That’s fine but let me tell you a story about a friend of mine. He was fly-fishing at a remote location on a nearby island. He had scheduled his trip so that he could catch a ride in with a small float plane that had a weekly cargo run through the area and back on the planes next run. Only when the plane came back the next week he wasn’t on the shore and when they checked the cabin, all of his gear was there and it was obvious he had not been back to the cabin in several days.
The plane radioed in search and rescue and they begin a several day search. He was found only hours before the search was going to be officially called off. He was emaciated and exhausted suffering from the effects of exposure but otherwise OK.
I have talked to him many times since and one of the mistakes he acknowledges making was leaving his gear at the cabin because it was a sunny day and he was only going a short distance up the creek.
Trying to move to a better spot he became turned around in the dense bushes and spent the next several days going in circles trying to find the trail and the creek again.
This was something I hadn’t really put much consideration into it before but this is something even the most prepared are guilty of, leaving the bags at base-camp. I have done it hundreds of times, gone off on a little day hike with nothing but a water bottle and a jacket. Looking back with some perspective gained from discussing my friends experience made me realize exactly how stupid I was. Thankfully my friend hasn’t allowed his experiences to scare him away from his remote fishing trips but now caries 2 new things no matter what, a pocket survival kit and a small GPS unit.
120 Notes/ Hide
- lifeofacrazyman reblogged this from prepare4life
- ileanover likes this
- thefaultinour-selves likes this
- thefaultinour-selves reblogged this from prepare4life
- queen-castiel likes this
- whoisaurel likes this
- bionabiona likes this
- docb40tn likes this
- dontpanicphotography likes this
- indvstry likes this
- musichealsus likes this
- eldra likes this
- toniclime likes this
- melsoproh likes this
- peekadora likes this
- beliebinginonedirection likes this
- g4ge likes this
- savingpollyoliver likes this
- environmento reblogged this from prepare4life
- jaredcallais likes this
- thisnorthatisnothing likes this
- mysterycrow likes this
- mysterycrow reblogged this from geisteblitz
- coastingonthisdream likes this
- geisteblitz reblogged this from cruiserswagger
- geisteblitz likes this
- insertswearword reblogged this from themerchantmarine
- cruiserswagger reblogged this from themerchantmarine
- themerchantmarine reblogged this from dancingintherain80
- sombresilhouettesbringnoglory reblogged this from prepare4life
- sombresilhouettesbringnoglory likes this
- simpleprepping reblogged this from prepare4life
- gettingprepared likes this
- worldsmostdangerousdad likes this
- duarte-95 likes this
- ihavedna likes this
- closetprepping reblogged this from prepare4life
- fallopianrhapsody likes this
- thispainshallpassaway reblogged this from prepare4life
- gothicsugar likes this
- zeroattribute likes this
- djdeznuts reblogged this from gmsurvival
- djdeznuts likes this
- carfaycor likes this
- dancingintherain80 reblogged this from prepare4life
- dancingintherain80 likes this
- improvisedsurvival reblogged this from allpreparedness
- clownspyder reblogged this from prepare4life
- kdrover reblogged this from prepare4life